Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Love Letter to Maine

Dear Maine,

This afternoon, after Amanda and Jason and I had stuffed ourselves full of lobster, crab, and coleslaw at The Lobster Shack--one of my favorite places to eat in all of Maine--we took the back roads to Old Orchard Beach for a day of surf and sea.

We drove past some spectacular houses and even more spectacular views before we cruised into the town of Scarborough. And there we were, minding our own business and heading for the beach, when I saw a sign out of the corner of my eye. That sign was for Len Libby Chocolates. Something in my head sizzled when I saw that sign, that name. I was recognizing something, although I didn't know what. I was remembering something I'd heard rumor of. And that's when I screamed, "GIANT CHOCOLATE MOOSE!!!!!!!!"

Amanda and Jason, out of towners who came to Maine with one simple wish (to see water), were confused by my sudden exclamation about a moose--a chocolate one.

"What's going on?" Amanda asked as I slammed on the brakes and turned into the parking lot.

"THIS IS WHERE THE GIANT CHOCOLATE MOOSE IS!" I said. "I've wanted to see it for months! It's been on my to-do list!"

I'd never heard two people laugh so much at my reaction to and interest in a chocolate moose. But they were game to go in and get a look at the moose.

Which we did. We bustled right in that door and completely ignored the long counter full of chocolates and toffees and truffles--a feat which is pretty amazing, especially when you think about our frantic, manic reaction to the sale at the Lindt Chocolates factory store sale in Freeport yesterday, where we may or may not have bought an entire case of milk chocolate bars and pounds of vanilla-dark chocolate truffles. But today was different. Today was less about stuffing ourselves with chocolate and more about finding a giant, giant moose made entirely out of chocolate.

And he was really something to behold. He did not disappoint. He was truly one more thing that made me love you, Maine. No other state would house a giant chocolate moose (and, thanks to some new sculptures, a giant moose's chocolate bear friends). And if this is as close as I'm going to get to a moose for a while, I'm okay with it. It was a pretty good, pretty sweet encounter.

Love,

Jess

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments: