Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Conversation with a Random Man at the Grocery Store

(Note: The random man looked like this. Knowing that makes the story more interesting. So does the fact that this man was quite possibly an escapee of a mental institution.)

Man: (mumbling)

Me: (minding my business and examining different varieties of hot chocolate)

Man: You know, they stopped making those warming mugs.

Me: Warming mugs?

Man: Yeah, they were, uhm, mugs.

Me: Of hot chocolate?

Man: Yeah. You turned them upside-down, pulled a tab, and they started heating themselves. They were great. You didn't have to go to all the trouble of boiling water. I bought them all the time.

Me: Huh. I didn't know they made those.

I reached for a package of Swiss Miss Marshmallow Lovers, anxious to get out of the aisle before the man started lecturing me about gigawatts or flux capacitors.

Man: (eyeing my choice) Ohhhh yeah. I like you. I like you a lot.

No comments: