Saturday, October 23, 2010

Mid-Semester

I have been staring at this screen for ten minutes, and I still don't know what to write. I feel like I have a lot to say; I feel like I have very little to say.

I could tell you that I am, right now, listening to Wilson Pickett sing "I'm Not Tired" or that this fall has been a big deal for Abbey because we've introduced her to the wonders of laser pointers. I could tell you I want a pair of red boots.

I could tell you that this is the busiest semester I've ever had, that I feel now more than ever the weight of a 5-5 load, that there have been times I've cried because I've realized just how much I have to do and think there's no way it's ever going to get done.

I could tell you The Lady-Killer and I went apple-picking and I've made apple crisp, apple muffins, apple-cheddar-squash soup, apple-caramel cake, and two batches of applesauce, and I still have an entire bag of apples to use.

I could tell you that I really, really love living with a boy. I could tell you how I used to think I'd be rotten at it, but I actually think I'm pretty okay.

I could tell you that these days I am watching an awful lot of "Four Weddings" on TLC--and that this a show where four brides attend each other's weddings and then rate them, the winner getting a luxurious honeymoon prize package--and that I violently love and hate the show at the same time. I could tell you I'm still shaking my fist at Don Draper for what he did in the Mad Men season finale.

I could tell you there's a part of me that's looking forward to snow, but it's not a very big part.

I could tell you that today I climbed into my shower and bleached the walls above the tub and scrubbed them until they were bright white. I could tell you I washed a blanket Abbey threw up on, one I avoided and let sit for a few weeks.

I could tell you one of my favorite things about The Lady-Killer is the way he says ow.

I could tell you I wish my mother would come over and make me dinner. I could tell you I wish my brother would come sit on the couch with me and watch reality television with me, make me laugh, make my mother laugh, make TLK laugh, make everyone in the world laugh.

I could tell you that today while I was cleaning my office I found a tiny yellow Post-It note that says nothing good can come from working with deli meat. I could tell you in my drawer I have a slim stack of blue Post-It notes, that these are the first notes TLK wrote me, and that one of them has his number and the words you know you want to on it.

It is mid-semester, and I am tired but I am happy.

No comments: