Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Haikus for Spring and the End of the Semester

1.

Hand out eval forms,
pretty little Scantron sheets,
wave bye bye! bye bye!

2.

Rain for two days means
leaks in the bathroom ceiling,
a wet dot in tile.

3.

No sleep for days now.
My body think it's June, wants
to drink in 3 A.M.

4.

Friends send pictures of
my boyfriend and his thick beard.
I dream of razors.

5.

The river floods high,
closes roads and businesses.
I want to swim there.

6.

Bears snuffle from sleep
in May. We will drive inland,
watch from a window.

7.

I have been promised
moose in August, a whole camp
of sleepy bulls, calves.

8.

I am thinking of
prairies. I am thinking of
Midwestern sunsets.

9.

Phone calls from Ex-Keith
are all about road rage and
sweaty sex with M.I.L.F.s.

10.

Dear Simon Cowell,
Can we give David Cook the
title and be done?

11.

Goths outside my place
ask if I have a smoke. Bet
they hate my pink coat.

12.

The river, again:
don't want to be pulled in. I
want to be the pull.

13.

Ray Lamontagne was
born just over the river.
Where did he write Burn?

14.

Here, the sunset comes
down over abandoned mills,
other ancient things.

15.

Seven days 'til the
end of the semester. Eight-
teen 'til Mexico.

No comments: