Tuesday, February 12, 2008

One Song, Three Ways

The Boy From Work is in town. For the next few days, we'll be doing all sorts of romatic Valentine's Day stuff, like having dinner here.

So, I'll be away for a few days. But in the meantime, here's something to amuse you:

I first heard the Dire Straits' "Romeo and Juliet" in grad school (how did it take me that long to find this song?), and it immediately went on heavy rotation, especially when I was busy putting together my thesis. I'm posting three different versions of it here because I think it's pretty appropriate for the holiday later on this week.

1. The Original

Hello, 1980's! Worth checking out? Juliet's makeup and--no, I'm not joking--baseball cap.




2. The Killers

I want to marry the frontman of The Killers. I want to marry him and groom his groovy 1970's mustache and share eyeliner with him. It would be a good time.




3. Matt Nathanson

Let's not talk about Matt Nathanson. Or let's. Let's talk about how I want him to take up residence under my bed, so I--whenever I felt so inclined--could snap my fingers and beckon him, and he would crawl out from under my bedspread and sing to me. (OH MY GOD. I LOVE A MAN WITH A GUITAR.)




Happy Valentine's Day, everyone.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Back in the '80s Mark Knopfler's voice irritated the crap out of me, but hearing him juxtaposed with the Killers and Mr. Nathanson, I see the value of a voice with character.

Both of those other versions are competent, and the singers are both talented, but neither cover has the grit of the original.

I've really enjoyed Mr. Knopfler's solo work, too.

Jess said...

I think you might be charmed by the Matt Nathanson one more if you were a girl, Jason. I mean, MY GOD, I could pass out from thinking about him putting his lips to my ear and singing that to me.

And now I need to go eat a piece of chocolate.